In Seeking Balance in an Either-Or-World, author Kathleen Parker, address the so called “middle ground” opinion of todays society. While people are often criticized for not choosing a side, be it liberal or conservative, Parker brings up the point that the middle ground is a side, the Independent. Parker, having done multiple columns on her pro-choice position, uses abortion as an example to explain her theory. She explains that although she agrees that abortion is terrible and a decision that women may come to regret, she can still justify her pro-choice stance... “Nevertheless, I can find no was to justify government-enforced maternity” (13). So her solution to having two opposing positions is to find a compromise. This means not having such a radical view as to say abortion is not cruel, yet not being so conservative to say it is wrong no matter what circumstances.
When I first read this article I felt that by the author admitting to taking two opposing sides, her argument was weakened. But after reading it again I decided that this actually makes her argument stronger. The fact that she can see, unlike most blind politicians, both sides of the spectrum and chooses to find a middle ground is something that I think most of us can relate to. People should be able to choose the opinions they want to have, and due to radical liberals and extreme conservatives, more and more of the younger generation of our society is now choosing the middle road. According to Parker, Independents are the fastest growing group of voters.
In our society I believe that this “middle ground” is important because after all not everyone is going to agree on everything. As children we are taught to share, which in itself is a compromise. For parents, compromise is often the balance between discipline and affection. The middle ground should not be looked at as a way for people to escape having a “real” opinion. If everyone was a little more willing to compromise that world would be much nicer place.